Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Belly update ~ 34 weeks

Six weeks left to go to full-term!
Here's the latest on my baby belly progress. Very few clothes fit anymore and I'm loathe to spend money on any new ones, so I'm the frumpiest frump who ever frumped. I'm feeling big and heavy, especially in bed. Turning over is an effort that requires waking up completely, which also usually means getting up to pee. I'm so tired of laying on my sides; I'm normally a back-sleeper. I've also been appreciating the support of a pillow under my belly when I'm laying on my side, to keep my belly from pulling on my back too much.

I've been able to be very active over these last few weeks -- the weather has been great, beautiful and sunny and breezy in the 60's and 70's. I try to walk at least 3 miles a day along the Embarcadero which passes right behind out building, and throw in some stretching and strength moves in the park nearby. I walked a total of about 30 miles last week, and I've averaged 15-20 miles per week since the first trimester ended and I got some energy back. I'd like to start some prenatal yoga in the next couple of weeks to help keep me flexible and prepare for labor. Thankfully my activity seems to be keeping the leg-swelling that affects many women at bay, though I'm getting a teeny bit swollen in my feet and ankles during work so I try to take a walk after lunch to get the blood flowing.

The view from the inside
Baby is definitely starting to think her world is closing in on her. Her movements are much slower, stronger, and more deliberate. I can distinctly feel the bump of her bottom at the top of my belly and she likes to brace her feet against my sides and push. She also sometimes sways her bottom from side to side slowly, especially when we're leaning back on the couch at night. The lump of her bottom moves from one side of my belly button to the other and then back, and I can feel her feet pressing on my sides and her hands fluttering down low near my hipbones.

Her rhythms tend to match ours -- she's usually active most of the day while I'm at work, and she likes to push and brace herself while I'm walking, though this morning she took a nap where I couldn't get her to move at all no matter how much I poked and prodded her. Hopefully this napping habit will last after birth, but it was disconcerting at first until she suddenly punched my bladder and recommenced squirming as usual. She's still very active while we eat dinner and wind down for the night, and then she seems to stay blessedly quiet all night while we sleep. Doug usually puts his hand around my belly as we fall asleep and he can feel her squirming and trying to get comfy for the night. My bladder gets me out of bed 6-10 times per night and I can feel Baby move when I lay back down, but she settles down fast so I can get back to sleep.

I think it's so sweet how she seems to wake up when we do. Doug and I usually cuddle for a while as we wake up. As we start talking and moving around more, she begins to stir and stretch and start bouncing just a little. And by the time I get to work she's in full squirmy mode.

Doug has started kissing my belly after he kisses me when we wake up. He says he has to say good morning to his girls. Heart. Melting.


No comments:

Post a Comment