Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Boring. And Blessing.

I need to whine. I've been feeling so bored lately...but no, it's actually me. I am boring.

(Aside: when I was a little girl, I would sometimes visit my Uncle Neil on his farm in Hickman County, TN. If he heard me say I was bored, I'd be put to work weeding the garden or picking up sticks or something. So it's very difficult for me to admit that I'm bored. Uncle Neil, if you're reading this, it's getting difficult for me to bend over. Please don't make me weed anything. Love you.)

This time last year we had so many things happening, I can't even understand how we survived, much less accomplished it all and got where we are today. So many blessings! So much work! And now I am boring myself to death. I don't even have a hobby! And I'm afraid to start one, or to get involved with a non-profit or anything new and productive, because let's face it, in 2 months I'll have to stop it because my "hobby" will be parenting the squirmy thing currently residing in my belly. In fact, the only thing that's keeping me consistently entertained these days is reading "Mommy blogs" and product reviews and trying to envision the utter chaos that our lives will be in 60 days or so.

Doug is less boring, because he has his fancy camera to play with, his company just got acquired by a much larger and more exciting company, and he generally has more adventurous energy than slug-worm here. I'm jealous.
China!
Last May, I had just put my house in Nashville on the market, having spent all April on house-getting-ready-projects in between travel for work; I had just returned from a trip to China with my business school class; I was in the midst of several huge final grad school projects; I was in full end-of-year swing with my fund-raising job and commuting for 2 hours a day; I was getting fitted for my wedding dress; and I was somehow also running 20-30 miles a week and sleeping from time to time. Doug had just finished grad school and moved to SF, and he was doing most of the wedding-moon planning, thank God.
Wedding!

I had a summer filled with change and excitement ahead of me, followed by married life filled with adventure in a new city.

And now, I am boring.


I did buy some knitting supplies and make a couple of adorable fuzzy newborn hats, but that doesn't really count, I don't think.

OK, whining over. After wallowing in the worst first-world variety of self-pity, I realize that I'm actually really thankful that so much of my life changed so much in the last year. I feel like it's made the upcoming changes less intimidating. After all, I've already uprooted myself from a comfortable life and home and job, worked harder than I ever imagined in grad school for the last 2 years, married my very bestest friend, and gotten us generally established in a new city. We don't feel fully at home, yet, which is probably good because right now we have very few commitments to distract us from being parents.

Yes, we are blessed. Blessed with boring.

I can't wait to meet the next little blessing in my life.





No comments:

Post a Comment