Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Third trimester begins ~ 28 weeks

This little girl hiccups a lot! Once or twice a day for 10 minutes or more isn't unusual at all. I hope that means that she'll be a really strong breather!  I can also tell what position she's in based on where the hiccups are located in my belly. This morning they're toward the top right of my belly button, so I know she's head-up and slightly tilted to the right. Usually they're down lower in my belly, because she really likes to be head-down. Which is a preference I hope she keeps!

She's also started to stttretttch a lot, which is fine unless she's stretching into my bladder. Which is typical. My poor bladder is taking more punishment than any other part of me, and has been for the entire pregnancy. I can't wait to get back to normal, with <6 trips per night to the bathroom. In searching for releif, I've found that many advice sites tell pregnant women to do kegel exercises to tighten the pelvic floor to limit "leakage"...but that's not my problem at all. It's just the constant pain when her head slips down into my pelvis, or her feet decide to do a little stomping, and sometimes I'll feel her hands fluttering and then puuussshh out, right on my bladder. It's not fun.

Second Trimester Recap
Several of the "mommy bloggers" have answered little questionairres throughout their pregnancy. I thought that would be fun to do today, since I just finished my second trimester. So here you go.

Daddy likes to feel Baby moving!
Her size: Up to 2.5 lbs and 16" long!

My size: There's definitely a basketball's worth of room for my baby, though I have a large frame I don't think it looks horrifying, yet. My belly is rock-hard when I'm standing up, and squishy when I sit or lay down. I can feel baby's bottom, back, or head from the outside depending on how she's positioned, and she's strong enough to rock my belly when she moves. But we can't see any distinguishable limbs because I have a nice thick padding on my belly.

Belly Button: Still an "innie," though it's gotten much shallower than before.

Stretch marks: None so far... I don't use anything special to prevent them but I've always lotioned up really well after every shower. I use an organic cocoa/shea butter blend which might be helping.

Total weight gain: I'm still right at 25 lbs. and I need to stay there. But the burrito I just ate might tip the scale a little...

Sleep: I'm sleeping fine, and other than frequent trips to the bathroom, any issues I have can't really be attributed to baby. I fall right back to sleep after I do my business. The last few nights have been warmer than usual, though, which makes my sleep lighter and less restful. Fortunately I've never been a belly-sleeper and I've always preferred my left side, so that makes things easier. Doug likes to snuggle up behind me in a spooning position with his left arm under my head and his other hand on my belly, which melts my heart.

I've had a lot of very vivid dreams, but I usually do have vivid dreams so I'm not sure that the pregnancy is an influence... I have had a few about the baby, but I can't really remember what they are. Except one where Doug morphed back into a high school or college version of himself and didn't care at all about helping out with the baby, which was infuriating until I awoke to him snuggling up to me.

Maternity clothes: When I visited TN in March, my mom took me shopping for some clothes which have become my core wardrobe staples (thanks Mom!), along with several old non-maternity dresses which still fit just fine, especially belted above my belly. I wear the same things every week, and I'm SO reluctant to buy more since I'll only need them for another 2.5 months or so... I did just order some nursing bras and workout clothes from Boob Design and Ocean Lily. They were expensive but hopefully worth it.

At the GG Botanical Garden
Food cravings: I haven't had any bad cravings during the whole pregnancy, other than a general craving to eat whatever I want as I did before I was pregnant and pre-gestational-diabetic. I could eat whatever I wanted mainly because I could easily run it all off. I'm also really missing a nice glass of wine or a good craft beer from time to time when I just want to relax and enjoy an evening or a weekend afternoon.

Food aversions: Seaweed salad, or anything too fishy-smelling. I'm also not a huge fan of curry, which I didn't mind so much before I was pregnant.

General Symptoms: I feel occasional Braxton-Hicks contractions, especially after I've been walking for > an hour, or climb a hill or stairs. I had a shooting pain in my right hip for a few weeks that has finally gone away. I am so blessed not to have heartburn or constipation or varicose veins or swelling like so many women do, but my bladder pain makes up for most of that relief, I dare say. I've gotten light-headed and nauseous a few times in the mornings recently but nothing I can't handle if I lay back down for a few minutes.

What I'm looking forward to: Meeting our daughter and getting on with this whole parenting thing! Also going for a 5-mile run without feeling like I will perish; sharing a bottle of wine and soft non-pasteurized stinky cheeses with my husband; eating basically whatever I want to; not testing my blood sugars after every single meal and obsessing about my fasting level in the morning; having my bladder back to myself, and wearing any of the clothes in my closet that I so choose.











1 comment:

  1. I love reading of all your trials and tribulations, especially the goal of eating stinky cheese. ;-)

    ReplyDelete